At the beginning of 1980, Mr Ken Waller was appointed Headmaster, the first male principal in the College's history. The languishing boarding house, down to fifteen in 1980 and so much the core of Moreton Bay College's tradition, was closed by the Board, with regret, at the end of 1980, to allow for some expansion of classrooms for day girls.
The unprecedented growth of the College during the early 1980s prompted the Board of Governors to find another site for the burgeoning school. At the end of 1981, the College acquired hectares of hillside land on Wondall Road and the Board began planning the relocation of the College to it. This was done in two stages. During 1983, the Primary buildings were erected and were occupied on the first day of school in 1984. Around this time, Alison Greene house was re-established, and a fourth house, Drewe, was established.
In September 1985, the Old Girls’ Association hosted a “Farewell to Bay Terrace” luncheon, which, attended by over 400 members, was the largest gathering of Old Girls the school had witnessed. 1985 saw the introduction of the new maroon and gold interschool sports uniform, the predecessor of the current sports uniform.
Towards the end of 1985, the Secondary School was built and the secondary pupils commenced the 1986 school year on the new site.
The following decade saw witness to extensive building and expansion of the school grounds. In 1987, the Oriel Handley Hall was built and named in honour of the dedicated teacher who served at the school from 1951 to 1992. By the mid-1990s, the school had expanded its facilities to include a purpose-built secondary library, music block, sports centre and swimming pool, along with more primary and secondary classroom blocks.
In 1997, after decades of association with the school, Mrs Leita Boswell resigned from the position of Head of Primary, and in 1998 Mrs Ngaire Tagney was appointed to the position.
At the close of 1998 Mr Ken Waller retired after 19 years of distinctive leadership of the College. Under his leadership, and due to his strong vision, the College moved from the small campus at Bay Terrace to the 5.6 hectare site on Wondall Road, and enrolments grew from 116 to 1142 pupils.
New to MBC?
Do you have a story for our newsletter?
How can we make the website and newsletter better for you?
Handy email addresses
Secondary School Absentees
Primary School Absentees