Mr Paul Teys, former Head of Secondary School at AB Paterson College and prior to that Head of Curriculum at Fairholme College, was appointed Principal from the start of the school year in 1999.
One of the great occasions in 1999 was the opening of the Leita Boswell Hall, the Primary School general performance hall. The Hall was dedicated in honour of Mrs Leita Boswell (Beattie) who had been associated with Moreton Bay College Primary since 1957 and served as Head of Primary from 1981 to 1997.
For the commencement of the academic year in 2000, the College added a third Year 6 class, effectively shifting the Year 7 in-take to Year 6.
In 2000, the diverse strengths among the school population were highlighted by the school’s first QGSSSA Athletics title win, the presentation of the Lions International Leo Club Excellence Award to the College Leo Club, and the achievements of the school’s debaters and public speakers at state and national levels.
The College celebrated its Centenary in 2001, with an enrolment in its 100th year of 1170 girls from Preschool to Year 12.
In 2001 the College decided to create a new position and appoint a Head of Curriculum, to complement the work of the Head of Studies. This move was groundbreaking for independent schools and a clear demonstration by the College of its commitment to learning outcomes for its students. Coinciding with this appointment, the College for the first time offered TAFE and school based traineeships to expand the curricular offerings.
The impressive growth of the College facilities continued under Mr Teys’ leadership. In 2000, a Preschool was built to accommodate two classes, and in 2003 a Child Care Centre was established. 2003 saw the opening of the school’s first dedicated place of worship, the Centenary Chapel. In the same year, Moreton Bay Boys’ College was established in collaboration with the Presbyterian and Methodist Schools Association (PMSA), and its foundation students enjoyed their first year on the Moreton Bay College campus before moving to the newly built campus on Manly Road in 2004.
By 2004, the College Roll was at record levels: 1220 across the P-12 campus. In March 2005, Mr Teys completed his tenure at the College, and Mr Geoff McLay held the position of Acting Principal for the remainder of the year.
New to MBC?
Do you have a story for our newsletter?
How can we make the website and newsletter better for you?
Handy email addresses
Secondary School Absentees
Primary School Absentees